Friday, September 20, 2013

Sugar Cookies


I have been busy baking cookies lately for various occasions for my girls at school.  Before moving to the States 2 years ago, I'd never baked a cookie in my life!  Just not a big thing in Australia so I was under some pressure to get up to speed, particularly if I wanted my little hobby with parties to succeed here in the US.  I quickly learned some basic techniques and now have been having more and more fun decorating sugar cookies for all sorts of occasions.  These are some from our Wedding Anniversary celebration a couple of weeks ago.  I really enjoyed putting together the event styling and preparing all the food for our event but I was particularly proud of these.  So simple but so cute. I have to credit the fact that I use an awesome sugar cookie recipe and more than that, I use an incredible vanilla extract which has transformed the taste!  





I use the recipe below from Glory from Glorious Treats and I love the flavor and texture.  Some cookie folk use icing sugar in their mixture but I'm not sure about that, might be something I try down the track but this gives a great texture to work with and so I am sticking to this for now.

Rolled Sugar Cookies, 

3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1teaspoon good quality vanilla extract

Directions:

Directions as per Glory, here at http://www.glorioustreats.com/2010/03/making-sugar-cookies-recipe-and-tips.html

I could rewrite her directions but she has done a wonderful job of working through each step with easy to follow photographs.  I also think it's necessary that you explore her site and get lost in her creativity... she's amazing.

Here are some more of mine for a baby shower Party Favor I finished today.... a little preppy, in some spunky colors of yellow, blue, lime green and grey.




No comments:

Post a Comment