Monday, November 10, 2014

Silky gingered zucchini soup

Not sure this is a true blog 'come-back' but I just had to share this recipe.  I found it via a Whole30 recipe search.  A friend of mine is doing the 30day challenge and I was looking at some recipes to see how it really works.  Cutting out dairy, wheat, grains, all sugar, legumes, processed foods and meat, alcohol etc etc sounded like a tough 30 days!  I'm not keen to eliminate food types so drastically but I am always keen for some fresh ideas and a new take on the same old thing.

I was interested in this recipe because the author http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/ suggested it as a good breakfast alternative?!  Soup for breakfast... I could be up for that.  I don't like eating a lot of eggs, I am bored with porridge and greek yoghurt is hard for me to eat on such cold winter mornings.  



With my husband away until the weekend I figured I could eat this all week if it was any good.   I made it today and I have to say it is one of the most delicious soups I've ever had.  The ginger is divine and after you puree it all together, it transforms into an amazingly silky, creamy but light soup.  The zucchini is so mild  it makes for a wonderful base to take on the fresh ginger.  I LOVED it!  Not sure how I'll feel about eating tomorrow it morning but I think it's really going to be a winner.  Like a warm green juice.  Do it, you won't be sorry.

Ingredients:
1 tblspn coconut oil
1/2 onion, diced
salt
pepper
1 tspn minced ginger
3 cups organic or homemade chicken broth
3 medium zucchinis, halved and diced

Method:
  • Heat coconut oil in a soup pan
  • Add diced onion
  • Add salt, pepper and ginger
  • Add chopped zucchini and chicken broth
  • Bring to boil and reduce to simmer
  • Simmer for 30-45mins until zucchini are so soft and the stock has reduced a little
  • Using an immersion blender (or transfer to blender) and puree the soup in batches until you reach a creamy consistency.

Serve hot or store in glass jars in the refrigerator and enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. That does sound delicious! I believe ginger is very good for a lot of ailments, including asthma, and it adds a wonderful dimension to most foods, so that is a winner! We make zucchini soup every summer, because we always have a glut of them once they start producing, so this is good as another recipe to change it up a bit. Our soup includes bacon, not so healthy option, but tastes delicious!
    Another use for zucchini is making a ribbon-like salad, peeling them into ribbon strips, piling up with thinly sliced shallots plus coriander, and dressing with 2 parts white wine vinegar and 1 part olive oil. Thanks for sharing this recipe! xx

    ReplyDelete