Friday, November 30, 2012

Grilled pork with pea puree

I have been very quiet these past few weeks, I am embarrassed almost that I have only 4 posts in November!  I've been away traveling for the most part and we got home to our daughters 5th birthday and Thanksgiving... A busy busy time with family and so very enjoyable.  I will try and make it up to you in the next few weeks although I sense the lead up to Christmas is going to be equally as crazy.  I have yet to post my incredible Thanksgiving stuffing recipe, although it's far too late for that those of you here in the States - I think some friends in Australia may like to try it for Christmas lunch if they eat a hot meal.  U.N.B.E.L.I.E.V.A.B.L.E and I don't often boast about my dishes like that.  Give me another few days and it will be up.

For now, I have a few everyday dishes to share.  Some old favourites and some with a new twist.  

Roasted pork and apples are a traditional success story and are always delicious together but to add another element, try this pea and parsnip puree with your next roast pork leg or tenderloin.  I think parsnip and anything is a winner but this dish is a lovely alternative to using regular mash potato or pureed cauliflower as it gives the pork something to hang on to.  The girls think the green mash is pretty unique so it makes for some fun jokes at the dinner table.  

We all enjoyed this simple and tasty mid week meal.


Pea puree
2 cups frozen peas
1 large parsnip, diced
handful of fresh mint leaves
1/2 apple, diced
butter
salt and pepper

Method:
  • In a saucepan, with boiling salted water, add your diced parsnip and apple let cook until tender - approx 6-8mins. 
  • Add your frozen peas and bring back to the boil
  • Remove from heat and drain, retain 1/3 cup of water in case you need to add some back in.
  • Using a hand blender, puree the pea and parsnip mixture with some mint, butter and more salt and pepper if necessary until smooth

Season a pork tenderloin simply with sea salt and cracked pepper, maybe some fresh thyme leaves and rub a little olive oil into the skin then roast in a hot oven for approx 25mins or until cooked through.  Cook your other vegetables, like butternut squash, carrots or potatoes, in a pan next to it and serve the pork sliced over the pea puree with apple sauce.

Apple sauce:
2-3 apples, diced
1 1/2 - 2 cups of water
up to 1/3 cup sugar, brown or white
cinnamon, a good shake

Simmer all ingredients over medium heat for 20-25mins.  Mash with a potato masher or use a hand blender to puree half of the mixture, leaving some chunky.



No comments:

Post a Comment