Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Perfect Vanilla Cupcakes

I have been following a woman on and off (in a culinary kind of way not a freaky stalking kind of way!). Her name is Glory and she maintains a gorgeous website posting unique sweet treats and party ideas, Glorious Treats.   Check her out at www.glorioustreats.com  she is amazing and does some beautiful stuff. When you stay up late searching pinterest like I do, you find some amazingly talented people and it often turns into a session of reading all about their background and their passions and searching through archived posts and tutorials.  So when I found her post entitled "The Perfect Vanilla Cupcake" I felt I needed to experience that.  I quite liked my original vanilla cupcake recipe  I used from taste.com.au which I had previously posted, as I had had pretty good success with it but once I tried these... there is definitely no going back.  Just look at them... they're perfect!  


Perfect Vanilla Cupcakes Recipe by Glorious Treats, photo by Mo.

There are a number of different things going on with these cupcakes which help to make them perfect.
1.  The use of cake flour not regular all purpose plain flour.  Cake flour has a lower gluten level so produces a finer, softer end product
2.  The use of oil rather than butter, allows for that light and airy feel like you get from using a packet mix (e-gad) 
3. The use of buttermilk.  It provides a slight tang to cakes and because of its acidity it helps activate the gluten in the flour and allows it rise quickly and lead to a softer cake.

Anyway I will leave it up to you to decide.  I have never before had a tray of cupcakes that turned out so evenly and beautiful.  I would serve these without frosting they looked so good!  But I didn't ....because I love cream cheese frosting too much is why!  So I turned them into this instead.  


It was my Dad's birthday (in Australia I might add) so I made him these.  Then Lucy, Georgia, Mark and I went ahead and ate them in all in celebration!  Happy Birthday Dad, we love you!

Makes 15-16 regular size cupcakes

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla exract
1/2 cup oil (vegetable, canola or extra light olive oil)
1/2 cup buttermilk

Method:
  • Pre heat your oven to 350'F
  • Line your muffin trays with cupcake liners
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together your flour, salt, baking soda and powder
  • In the electric mixer bowl, beat your eggs one at a time on medium for 20seconds then add your sugar.  Continue to beat until combined, about 30 seconds.  
  • Add you oil and your vanilla extract and continue to beat
  • Slow your mixer down to low and gradually add about half your flour mixture.  Then add half of the buttermilk and continue to beat.  Follow with the remaining flour then milk.
  • Beat until combined, another minute perhaps and scrap down the sides to ensure it is all combined.
  • The batter is going to be thin, that is correct.
  • Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan filling them to about 2/3 full.
  • I placed my trays towards the bottom third of my oven to ensure they didn't rise too quickly and overflow.
  • Cook for approx 12 - 14 minutes, until just golden brown on top.  Pierce them with a skewer if you need to test them.  It should come out clean. 
  • Allow to rest in the tray about 5minutes before removing them to a cake rack to cool completely.
  • Frost when totally cooled.

For Glory's Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting check out her link http://www.glorioustreats.com/2010/02/recipe-cream-cheese-frosting.html

No comments:

Post a Comment