Sunday, March 3, 2013

Peruvian Baked Chicken Thighs

This is a Sara Moulton recipe a friend of mine did the other week and it was so delicious.  I have a thing for chicken thighs at the moment so I was so excited by this one.  I think my friend Eric may have gone heavier on the cayenne pepper, which I really liked. When I made it again for the blog I added some spring onion and lime juice to the marinade in place of some of the vinegar and it was awesome too but probably only just as delicious as my first tasting without it, so I am posting the original recipe here for you to adapt yourselves.  I think a little bit of lime juice goes nicely with strong spices like this but it's all a personal preference.

Now, before you ask did I give this to my kids?  No I didn't, but while I am baking chicken thighs, there is no reason they can't eat them with a milder spice on them.  I put two chicken thighs aside in a ziploc bag with some "moroccan" spice and a glug of good olive oil.  While ours were marinating in these gorgeous flavors theirs were doing their own thing in Morocco.  My eldest daughter Lucy said, after devouring her chicken in minutes accompanied by a lot of oohs and aaahs... "I don't care what you cook us tomorrow night for dinner Mum but it HAS to have this chicken with it!".  Finally, she appreciates that I feed her well!

This sort of dish is excellent if you have a busy evening ahead.  Get the marinade done when you have the time and leave to marinade during the day.  When you are about to head out, get them in the oven ready and set your timer.  I had these 5mins off cooked when I walked in the door, I made some cous cous and zapped some carrots and corn in the microwave and we were eating within 10mins.  



Ingredients:

6 chicken thighs, bone in skin on
3/4 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 tblspn white vinegar
1 tblspn ground cumin
1 1 /2 tspn paprika
3/4 tspn dried oregano
1/4 tspn cayenne pepper
6 cloves garlic, crushed

Green sauce
3 large scallions
1/4 cup serrano chili
1 tblspn fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
1 tblspn vegetable oil
1/2 tspn salt
1/4 tspn black pepper
1/2 cup half-and-half (I would use non fat yoghurt)

I actually paired this with my cucumber and yoghurt dressing and just added a fresh chili to it as well. http://whatsfordinner-mum.blogspot.com/2013/01/harissa-chicken-skewers-with-cucumber.html

Method:
  • Combine all the ingredients for marinade in mini processor and blend together.  
  • Add the chicken and the marinade together in a large ziploc bag and allow to marinade for at least 30min, longer if you can.
  • Preheat oven to 450'F when ready to bake and cook on a shallow baking dish for 20-25mins or until crispy on top and cooked through.
  • Allow to rest for 5mins before serving with your chosen sides and yoghurt dressing.



No comments:

Post a Comment