Monday, April 16, 2012

Curry Puffs

The long awaited Curry Puff recipe!  It is probably one of my best kept secrets but it's time I shared it. My best friends' mum has been making these curry puffs for as long as I can remember and they never fail to impress.  Sue is now world famous in my circle of friends!  Sue is Thai and so these are Thai inspired made with puff pastry as opposed to an Indian samosa's which uses a more dense pastry.  I'm sure you could do what you like with the contents once you learn the technique of pressing, twisting and rolling.  It is this technique that makes me want to get into teaching cooking... let's see what my followers say. Hopefully I have given you enough instruction to make them work for you too. These are incredibly popular with the dipping sauce suggested, I find sweet chili sauce a little thick on its own but the flavor is perfect if you don't want to muck around with it anymore.  You can easily make these kid friendly and healthy by using any combination of mash vegetables and mince meat, chicken or pork with a little less curry.

makes approx 54

Ingredients:

Curry Puff
400g mince/ground beef
4 medium potatoes - mashed
3 spring onions, diced
1 tblspn brown sugar, to taste
salt, to taste
2-3 tblpsn curry powder
1/2 small onion finely diced
vegetable oil
6 sheets of puff pastry

Dipping sauce:
1/3 cup asian sweet chili sauce
1 tblspn white vinegar
1 tblspn asian fish sauce
1 tblspn water

Method:
  • peel and boil the potatoes in salty water.  mash when cooked.  let cool.
  • defrost the puff pastry sheets, 2 or 3 at a time.
  • heat the oil in a pan and cook the onion until soft.
  • add the meat and brown well.
  • add the curry powder, sugar and salt to taste. adjust seasoning and curry powder to your liking
  • add the spring onions last and mix through.  let meat cool
  • combine meat and potato.
  • cut the pastry sheets into 9 even squares. Remove any dry ends of the pastry sheet before dividing.
  • place a teaspoon of mixture in the centre of the square, fold into a triangle and begin to pinch, roll and twist the edges until fully sealed.  The ends usually have a little extra which can be tucked behind or pinched off.  
  • continue this process until the mixture is finished.
  • Curry puffs can then either be frozen for future use at this point or deep fried that day.  Freeze each puff on a tray and then bag together.  
  • Curry puffs are best deep fried in vegetable oil but you can bake in a hot oven.  If baking, brush with a little egg wash. 
tip:  If cooking these for a party, I suggest deep frying them during the day and then warming again in the oven for 10-15mins when needed.  They will crisp back up no problem. 






And here... this is my husband, Mark, enjoying them one day after coming home from a long day at work.  He is always surprised and super excited when I make them for him!  (He's going to love that I included that photo!)


2 comments:

  1. Yum! You shared this recipe with me a long time ago and they are now a HUGE favourite of my husband too. :) In fact, I had better make some this weekend for his birthday. Who's making you dinner for your birthday?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember introducing you both to them in Brisbane one time... I love that they are now part of your family's special treats. I will be cooking my own birthday dinner... I want to challenge myself this weekend with something new. If it's any good, check back next week for the update :)

    ReplyDelete