Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Herb crusted lamb rack

Lamb would have to be, by far my favorite meat.  Here in the States it is very difficult to find and it is imported from Australia when I do find it!  It makes it a more expensive dish but I splash out every now and again and buy the french trimmed lamb racks (from Costco of all places!) and the whole family enjoys them. The girls call them lollipop chops but for me, this is a great way to cook them to ensure they stay succulent and tender.  I always under-cook lamb to maintain the juices in the meat and then let them rest. This was one my good friend Teresa taught me, I'm not sure if I translated it exactly as she does it but it is so simple for having such a big effect on flavor.  It is also one where you can get the messy part done well before people arrive and then cook for 10-15mins when you are ready.





Ingredients:
lamb - french trimmed rack
parsley, big handful
lemon zest
breadcrumbs (freshly crumbed)
dijon mustard
salt and pepper

Method:

  • combine the breadcrumbs, parsley and lemon for the crust
  • cut the excess fat from the lamb rack
  • season with salt and pepper and brush with oil
  • pre-heat a non-stick pan, preferably an oven-proof dish
  • sear the lamb on each side until browned and cooked for approx 3-4mins each side
  • cut lamb rack into portion sizes
  • let cool
  • coat the exposed lamb with a thin layer of mustard and press into crust mix
  • leave like this until you are ready to bake
  • pre-heat oven to 350'C 
  • bake lamb for approx 20mins until crust is nicely browned and the lamb is tender
  • let it rest for 5-10mins before serving.
I served this with a smear of olive tapenade* on the plate under the lamb, scallop potatoes and french green beans.

*I'll give you my recipe for olive tapenade soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment