Tuesday, April 10, 2012

perhaps the beginning of something big

Welcome to my blog.  People have been suggesting I get this started for some time now so here it goes... my attempt to create some enthusiasm and excitement around cooking.  I  moved to Milwaukee from Australia with my family last year and am really starting to feel settled here in our new American life.  It is different to my old world in many ways but life goes on wherever you are and people need to eat, go to school, washing needs to be done and so on, so for me things haven't changed too much.  One of the biggest differences I have noticed however is despite the food network and gluttony of cooking shows, people opt for convenience almost every time.  And with the level of convenience here, it's hard not to.  Carrots come pre-peeled, and miniature so you can snack right out of the bag!  Some of these conveniences have changed my life but others are trying to lure me to the dark side and make me lazy and worse still, unsure of what I'm eating.  I want to resist those and keep the art of cooking alive for my little ones.  Packet cakes are great for an emergency but lets get out our mixers and start something from scratch today!

I would like this blog to be a place to share recipes, culinary secrets and short cuts and most importantly generate a love of food to inspire you to keep cooking.  Teach your children the skills they will need to properly prepare a good wholesome meal.   Talk with them about the importance of making healthy choices and above all show them how to have fun in kitchen.  Understanding where food comes from and the joy of putting it all together to create a wonderful meal for your family or friends to marvel at and enjoy, that what's cooking is all about for me.

I hope this blog to helps people as well.  As the title suggests, sometimes I want to cringe when I hear the first murmur of 'whats for dinner mum?'... I feel like yelling, 'its 9am honey, who cares what we're having for dinner.'  I want to get up, have a coffee, enjoy my day and maybe by 4:30 I'll have an inkling into what it might be.   I'll tell you this, it WILL have vegetables in it, and you ARE eating it all if you want dessert... how's that?!  Tough love but hey, it forces me to be creative and stay true to my values.  I'll stop harping on now and here's to my first recipe share:

6 comments:

  1. Yay Mo! sounds healthy and yum - similar to a few things I creatively cook... I'm always looking for new dinner inspirations so will check in here frequently - keep the great recipes coming!! (PS what's it called??) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done Lindy, you win! First to comment!! I'm still trying to navigate my way around the set up of this blog so couldn't work out how to attach the name "Whats for dinner - mum?" to the photo I share on FB. I'll get that sorted soon I hope but in the meantime stay tuned for some more recipes as the week passes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Marisa! We might cook this for dinner tonight - Alex was here reading it with us, and I feel he definitely wants to cook it for his dinner! (Perhaps a title for the recipe would get the taste buds working immediately - we had to work it out after reading all the ingredients). We will check in here everyday - even old cooks like something different and it helps to know that your recipes are sure to be delicious. Good luck to this endeavour - we wish you every success. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah sorry, now I see what you mean... I wrote the title of the recipe in Blue, hence it didn't show up... its Chilli Con Carne everybody. An absolute must-have on hand recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great start to your blog! I look forward to being inspired by your posts and trying some new recipes with my girls. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hellooooooo.........I skimmed my darned emails and missed your launch!! I'm a bad friend indeed. But (!), I'm here now cheering you on with all my might. I love this idea and it's SO you (and me....but that's ok, I'll live vicariously through you. hehe). xx

    ReplyDelete