Monday, October 29, 2012

Busy Day Chicken

This has been a favourite of ours for many years.  It's not flashy, or difficult but it is certainly the easiest thing in the world to do and has all the necessary ingredients for a wholesome and healthy every day meal.  I had all my vegetables cut up earlier in the day - already laid out in the baking dish, the potato and pumpkin I left soaking separately in cold water so they didn't go brown. I put the oven on when the girls got home from school, arranged the (raw) diced chicken, added the potatoes and pumpkin, spooned on the soup, mayonnaise and seasoning and away it went to cook.  We were eating in an hour and I had one dish to wash up.  I hadn't made it for the kids before but they enjoyed it, well - as much as they enjoy eating that many vegetables normally.  I serve it on a little rice and the soup bubbles away at the bottom of the baking dish to make a sauce which helps bring it all together.  It was delicious, hubby and I love it.  A great go-to recipe when you think there is nothing in the cupboard to eat or you want to finish up stray vegetables in your fridge.

Arrange all the chopped vegetables and chicken


Add the soup, mayo mixture and cheese and bake


Serves 4

1(440g) tin fat free cream of mushroom soup
2-3 cups mixed vegetables - cut in roughly the same sizes (1'inch cubes) broccoli, cauliflower, pumpkin, potato, zucchini, mushrooms, carrots
1 chicken breast, diced
salt and cracked pepper
1 tspn mild curry powder
2 tblspn mayonnaise
1/2 cup grated tasty or cheddar cheese
1/3 cup sprinkle of breadcrumbs
sml knobs of butter

As you can see, we ate it before I had time to photograph it -
it smelled SO good!!
Cook in a preheated oven at 375'F for about 1 hour or until the top is golden brown and vegetables are cooked through.

2 comments:

  1. This is Davis and Diana's Grammy. Melissa told me about this website. Just made this dish for my husband and we loved it!! So satisfing. Love your website, please keep posting healthy recipes. I am trying to shop the "outside isles" of the grocery store, with the idea of eliminating processed food. I will check back often.
    Terri - Darlington, WI

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to hear from you Terri, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. If you liked this, you should try the Cornish Pasty recipe, I make the pastry from scratch but you could always just use puff pastry for an easier option. The other great healthy, fresh, dish I did recently was the Beef and Broccoli, very simple and super tasty. Thanks for tuning in!

    ReplyDelete