Tuesday, October 9, 2012

My Best Beef Stew

An oldie but a goodie as they say.  My parents made this when I was growing up and although I hated it then with all it's tomato skins and vegetables it is probably one of my go-to comfort foods now (less the tomato skins).  I make it slightly differently almost every time I think but the overall flavor is always the same - it feels healthy and hearty and so good for me that I can't help but love it.  I questioned tonight whether it was 'blog worthy' as I forgot to take a photo of the final plated meal but we all agreed, it's a fabulous family meal - a stock standard beef casserole but I can bet you this recipe wont ever fail you. My entire family love it and even my daughters' friends loved it so I figure it should get a mention and become a staple in your home too.    



Serves 6-8

Ingredients:
1 kg (2 lb) chuck steak
1 brown onion, finely diced
extra virgin olive oil
all purpose / plain flour
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tspn dijon mustard
1 tin tomatoes (14oz), pureed
1/2 - 2/3 cup good red wine (don't be stingy)
500ml / 2 cups beef stock
2 bay leaves
1 tspn freshly chopped thyme
sea salt and cracked black pepper
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
2 potatoes, diced
1/2 cup zucchini, diced
1 cup sliced portobello mushrooms
1 tblspn beef gravox / gravy mix

Optional - add parnsips, peas or any other favorite vegetable if you're game.

NB.  This is a 'slow-cooker' recipe.  Or a crock pot or pressure-cooker type dish.   I don't have the latter so my instructions are based around a slow cooker.  

Method:
  • Dice beef into large 1 inch cubes, place in a large bowl and coat in flour.
  • Heat a saucepan or frying pan and sear the beef in a little olive oil until browned.
  • Once browned, remove from pan and place straight into a slow cooker or crock pot.
  • De-glaze the pan with a little of the beef stock and par cook the onions, then carrots, celery, and finally add the crushed garlic.
  • Put these vegetables in the slow cooker with the beef, and add in the diced potato, mushrooms and zucchini.  Now add the red wine, the remainder of the beef stock, herbs, mustard and seasoning.  Give it all a good stir to mix it through.
  • Puree the tin of tomatoes with a hand mixer and add those to the pot also.
  • Allow to cook on low for 4-6 hrs.  
  • I usually add the gravox about 2 hrs before I plan to serve it.  I often remove the lid of the slow cooker for a period of 30mins to 1 hr at some point durning the cooking to assist with thickening the sauce.
  • Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
  • The longer this cooks the better it is so it is a perfect dish to cook ahead of time, to freeze portions or to have cooking all day ready for you when you come in at the end of the evening.  
We like it served on plain pasta, elbows or spirals, but you could have it with a little rice or mash potato and some green beans as a side but how many vegetables do you really need to eat in one meal?!  


No comments:

Post a Comment