Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Onion jam with Bangers and Mash

This week is all about comfort food for me.  After traveling for 2 weeks and eating in restaurants more than I ever could enjoy, I couldn't wait to get home and back in the kitchen.  Some of my favorite meals are the simplest... hence, why it brings to me Bangers and Mash.  

A lovely way to tart up even the most basic of combinations - the sausage and potato - is to add a sticky, sweet and golden brown carmelised onion jam.  You could add this to so many things to make them more beautiful.... grilled panini's, bruschetta with goats cheese and roasted red peppers, as a side to roast beef or perhaps use it for a simple pizza with spinach, grilled lamb and feta.  Options are endless, I just know you need to make it and then use it often!



To make the bangers; I have taken to roasting my sausages lately in a hot oven, saves the mess around the stove top and means I can get on and do other things while they're cooking away.  I add a little beef stock in the baking tray to help keep them moist and cook evenly.  I can then use the left over stock and sausage juices as a base for a lovely gravy and throw the sausages out in a pan on top of the stove to give them a little more color just prior to serving.  At the same time, simmer some diced potatoes in salted hot water while your sausages cook. Then mash or pass through a food mill with a good knob of butter, salt and cracked pepper and a dash of milk for the best consistency.

Caramelized Onion Jam

Makes about 1 1/2 - 2 cups

Ingredients:
Extra virgin olive oil
3 large brown onions, thinly sliced in long lengths
3 cloves, garlic crushed or mashed (I had some freshly roasted garlic)
1/2 cup apple juice or apple cider
2 sprigs of fresh thyme leaves
2 tblspn fig balsamic vinegar
1 tblspn apple cider vinegar
2-3 tblspn brown sugar

Method:
  • Place a good amount of olive oil in a large saucepan or skillet over medium to high heat. 
  • Cook the onions, stirring them occasionally until they are softened and golden brown, takes about 10-15mins.
  • Add the garlic, thyme, apple juice, sugar and vinegars and continue to stir until the onions go beautifully dark brown and the sauce becomes thick and jam like.  
  • Serve the bangers, mash and your choice of steamed vegetables with a huge helping of onion jam .

No comments:

Post a Comment