Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Baked Turkey Meatballs

I was in such a hurry tonight, I had every intention of putting these meatballs together during the day but just never got there.  Every other obstacle got in the way and so here I was at 5:45pm with some defrosted turkey meat looking at me, two hungry kids and it was all I could do not to pick up a beer!  I decided NOT to pick up the beer but instead, get cooking.  I would normally saute some onions and garlic and add that, cooled, to the meatballs but alas no time.  I ditched that idea and went straight for a quick and easy solution.... onion powder.  I used some fresh herbs which I even surprised myself at having this time of year and a dash of the secret ingredient.. worcestershire sauce.  I have to admit this dish did end up being incredible probably largely due to the fact that over summer when I was in the height of my summer produce from our garden and farm box deliveries I had made no less than about 2 dozen jars of homemade tomato pasta sauce which does contain the essential onions, garlic, basil, oregano and red wine vinegar.... so together this was a match made in heaven.  I'm sure you have a trusty pasta sauce either in your cupboard or if you were not running quite as late as I was, then putting it together really only takes about 10 minutes more so I would still call this a quick weeknight meal.




makes approx 18 meatballs.

Meatballs:
400g (just less than 1lb) ground turkey
1/2 tspn onion powder
salt and pepper
2 tblspn freshly chopped parsley
1 tblspn freshly chopped basil
2 tspn worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg


when ready to bake, add:
1 1/2 cups homemade pasta sauce
chunks of feta
shaved parmesan
basil leaves, ripped

Method:

  • Add all the ingredients of the meatballs in a large bowl and using a fork, mix well until fully combined. 
  • Roll into large tablespoon balls and place on a baking tray
  • Refridgerate for 15-30mins (or longer) if time permits 
  • Pre-heat your oven to 350'F
  • In a hot skillet, brown the meatballs in a drop of olive oil.  Toss and turn until browned all over but not necessarily cooked through. I turned the heat down and put the lid on my pan for about 3mins.
  • Place about 1 cup of homemade pasta sauce in the bottom of a pyrex dish, add your meatballs on top and then pour the remaining 1/2 cup of sauce over the top.  Rip up some fresh basil leaves and break off chunks of feta cheese, add a few shavings of parmesan and bake in your pre-heated oven for about 10mins.





  • Serve on a bed of rice or pasta if you wish, I had it with a simple side salad of mixed spring greens, kalamata olives, pine nuts, cucumber and parmesan.  I used a jalapeño olive oil with a tangerine balsamic.... just awesome. 




Homemade pasta sauce:  
loads of your favorite tomatoes, preferably roasted
onion, diced
garlic, crushed
fresh basil
fresh oregano
red wine vinegar
olive oil
sea salt and pepper


My method and exact quantities will be provided another time!  All I will say is, when tomatoes are in season, tasting their best and are at their cheapest - go to town and make it up in large batches so you always have some on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment