Monday, November 11, 2013

Slow Cooked pulled BBQ pork

Pork shoulder was on special last week so I got myself about a 4.5lb piece - not for any real purpose, other than thinking I would grind my own delicious pork mince for my next batch of spaghetti bolognese. However instead of grinding it, I decided to throw it in the slow cooker and see what would happen using my trusted pork spare rib rub recipe.  It was so easy it was almost unbelievable. My rub blend is probably a tad too hot for my girls so if you want to make this for your whole family I suggest you just switch the cayenne pepper out for some dried oregano but otherwise the flavors were awesome.

I had this in the slow cooker by 1pm and by 5pm I literally could break the pork using the back of a fork, it was completely shreddable and there was plenty of liquid to keep it moist.  Again, the beauty of the slow cooker is that it stays warm all evening long so on those nights when people are coming and going, you can be flexible.  


Ingredients:
4lb pork shoulder
Pork spare rib rub (see my previous post http://whatsfordinner-mum.blogspot.com/2012/07/best-baby-back-ribs.html)
1/3 cup BBQ sauce (homemade or store bought)

Method:
  • Cut pork shoulder into fist size pieces to ensure a greater surface area to coat the rub.  Massage  the rub onto each piece of pork
  • Pour about 3/4 of the BBQ sauce into the bottom of the slow cooker
  • Add the spice rubbed pork on top
  • Cook on high for 4-5hrs or until the pork can be pulled apart with a fork
  • Shred the meat and mix through the remaining sauce if needed.

Serve in a hamburger bun, taco or wrap with a simple coleslaw or avocado and sour cream


No comments:

Post a Comment