Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Sweet potato tots

Tater tots...  Not something I buy too often but wondered whether it would be worth making them for myself.  Verdict: they were so simple and really tasty.  I used some fried bacon for a bit of extra flavor but it would be equally as nice without it I think.  We had them with chicken parmesan and steamed vegetables so they weren't the highlight of the meal but for my salad lunch the next day, they certainly were the stand out! 

You could use regular white baking potatoes if you prefer regular tater tots but these were so sweet, they were almost like a butternut squash.  Once rolled, I kept them in the fridge until I was ready to fry them in the pan so they had a chance of holding their shape, they would certainly be a good thing to freeze and have ready when you wanted them.  I'd do them again for sure.  I did have the oven on as well so that I could fry them in small batches until golden and crispy and then finished them off in the oven for about 5mins.  I will try baking them from the start next time but I wanted to ensure these were crunchy as well as hot.


Ingredients:
2 sweet potatoes, boiled and grated
3 rashers bacon, sliced
3 tblpsn all purpose flour
salt and pepper

Method:
  • Boil the potatoes (with skins on) in hot water for about 10 -12mins until partially cooked then remove and run under cold water.
  • Dice the bacon and cook in a skillet pan until browned and crunchy, drain on paper towel.
  • Once cooled, dice the bacon further until you have small bacon bits.
  • Peel the skin of the sweet potatoes and then using a box grater, roughly grate them 
  • In a large bowl, mix the grated potato, flour, bacon and season
  • Take a tablespoon of the mixture in your palm and roll and squash into a rough ball, then shape into tater tot size logs. 
  • Leave on a tray and refridgerate (or freeze) until ready to pan fry or bake in the oven
  • Serve as a side dish to your main meal or with a simple honey mustard dressing for a game day snack.
Honey mustard sauce
4 tblspn mayonnaise
2 tspn honey
2 tspn dijon mustard




No comments:

Post a Comment