Thursday, May 3, 2012

Baked cod with spring onions and chili

Super healthy, light and full of flavor, this delicate fish turned into a meal which produced the following remark from my 'fish-wary' husband "Now this is exactly how I like to eat fish!".  Mark thinks I should incorporate a 'husband rating' system on the bottom of each dish to give you punters an indication of overall success but I really wonder, do you even care what he thinks?!  Who is he, after all?!  Well, he is my best sounding board because let's face it, if he doesn't like it, we won't be eating it again.  Except for meatballs, he hates meatballs and I continue to cook them...

Let me tell you, this was simple and tasty and took almost no time to prepare.  My challenge living here in Wisconsin (as far from the sea as I can imagine) is finding good, fresh fish.  Tilapia is the fish of choice in most stores but to me it tastes dirty, as in stinky socks dirty, and no amount of herbs and lemon juice can hide that.  It is supposed to be neutral in flavor but I can't disagree more, it has been tainted by a 14yr old boys sports bag and that is not a place I want to start when cooking a fish meal.  Use cod, or whitefish and I think you'll really enjoy this.  I've done this dish before and I remember dropping a spoonful of soy sauce over it before baking but I didn't this time and it tasted less complicated, so explore what works for you.

For the younger child, bake a few pieces without the chili however the other flavors would be totally fine for them (if you remove the evidence when serving it). If you hesitate about there being too many unknown flavors then do a simple lemon, parsley and salt and pepper on their pieces.

Serves 4

Ingredients:
2 large cod fillets, approx 2 pounds of fish
4 spring onions, sliced
2 fresh red chili's
large handful of coriander (cilantro to my US friends)
2 limes, juice of one and the other sliced (lemon would also work)
knob of butter
salt and pepper

Method:

  • Pre-heat your oven to 350'F
  • Place your clean fish fillets in a glass baking tray.  
  • Season heavily with salt and pepper.
  • Squeeze the juice of one lime over the fillets
  • Slice the spring onions using the white and fresh green ends of the stalks and sprinkle over the fish
  • Slice the chili's and place over the fish
  • Drop a small knob of butter on each piece 
  • Finish with the circles of lime, one on each piece of fish
  • Bake in the oven for 18-20mins
Serve with your choice of side dishes: steamed rice, boiled or mash potatoes, corn, bok choy or any variety of salad.



3 comments:

  1. All I can say is....Now I know what mom is making for dinner tonight....looks delicious! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best fish dish I think I I have ever eaten! Chilli and coriander give it real punch but don't overwhelm the fish. Great substitute for those bloody meatballs!!!

    ReplyDelete