Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Crispy noodle salad

A perfect light meal, or salad with a summer BBQ.  This was a huge hit with my girls, they loved the combination of crunchy noodles and shredded chicken and almost forgot it was full of cabbage.  Give your kids a pair of chopsticks and let the fun begin!

I would have normally spruced this dressing up with a little lime juice and red chili but there was something about the simplicity of this, it was tasty and delicious as it was, I didn't bother.  I bought the chicken from the store and so this was the quickest meal to put together.  It took me about 8 1/2 minutes I think including toasting the almonds and dinner was served.



Back home we all know this as a "Changi salad" after the brand of noodles and the recipe on the back!  I haven't found the crispy rice noodles as easy to find here but I stumbled upon some "China Boy" brand the other day so perhaps I need to rename it.... nah, always a changi to me.  You could substitute pork for the chicken, and add whatever you like to it really, red capsicum, celery, grated zucchini, or thinly sliced snow peas, go to town and build your own changi to your liking.  Here's the basic...

Serves 4

Dressing
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup caster sugar (fine sugar)
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tspn sesame oil
2 tblspn soy sauce

Salad
1 chinese cabbage (napa cabbage in US)*
5 spring onions
crispy rice noodles, approx 1/2 packet
100g / 3.5 oz silvered almonds, toasted
Roast chicken, shredded
1 carrot, grated
coriander / cilantro, small handful

* You could always use red or green regular cabbage if you can't find chinese cabbage. Chinese is milder in flavor.

Method:

  • Combine the vinegar and sugar and mix until sugar dissolves.  
  • Add remaining dressing ingredients. Set aside until ready to serve.
  • Toast the almonds in a dry hot pan or a tray in the oven until golden brown
  • Thinly slice the cabbage and spring onions. Add the grated carrot, chicken, almonds and noodles
  • When ready, dress the salad throughly and garnish with coriander and enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure if this is the crunchy noodle salad recipe I'm after but I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete