Friday, May 11, 2012

Lemon Slice

Feel like you need to give yourself a little treat?  I've been busting my butt with Jillian Michaels these past few weeks with her "Body Transformation" workout videos but yesterday... I took a day off.  Every muscle was sore, I was tired, hungry and after my special little Mothers Day morning with Georgia I just felt like doing something nurturing, motherly and purely out of love - not calorie counting.

I remember the last time my parents visited I asked them to make me this for my girls (and for me!).... it was my absolute favourite slice growing up.  I am not into chocolate much so anything that slaps a lot of icing on top was a winner for me.  Now I've forgotten to send my Mum a Mothers Day card in time this year so until it arrives, here is my tribute to her.  She makes a mean lemon slice, thank you Mum for sharing this one and although she claims this isn't even cooking, because there's no baking, it rates even higher in my world at the moment! It's Mothers Day this weekend so be kind to yourself and enjoy this little taste of heaven....



...but let's not get silly about it okay.... today is a new day so I am heading back out on the road for a run!


Ingredients:
1 tin sweetened condensed milk
200g / 7 oz butter
400g / 14oz granita biscuits (or 400g honey grahams)
2 cups desiccated coconut
2 lemons, rind finely grated

Lemon Icing:
4 cups of icing sugar
80g / 2.8oz / 5 1/2 tblspn butter
2 lemons, juiced

Method:
  • Grease and line a large baking pan, 13" x 9" (33 x 22.9cm) with edges of paper sticking out the shot ends so you can lift it out once it's set.
  • Put sweetened condensed milk and butter in a saucepan and heat until the butter melts.
  • Place the biscuits in a food processor and process until crumbs.
  • Combine coconut, biscuits and lemon rind in a large bowl. 
  • Pour in the butter mixture and stir until mixed through.
  • Fold out onto the tray and press flat
  • Refridgerate for about an hour or until firm

  • Make the lemon icing by combining all ingredients with a spoon and spread over the base.
  • Refridgerate again until set, approx 30mins.
  • Cut into '3 bite' pieces, I cut it into 32 pieces total.  You could freeze some if you wanted to try and restrain yourself.
FYI:  For my US friends, I since found the desiccated coconut at Sendiks, called organic shredded unsweetened coconut

1 comment:

  1. In a word... YUM! Many thanks to Mo and Georgia for such a delicious treat to start our Friday. I will be making these this weekend! XO!

    ReplyDelete