Saturday, July 21, 2012

Granola

The smell of freshly baking granola filling the house on a saturday morning... unbeatable. This was something I've been meaning to do for some time now as I hate buying granola in stores, the healthier varieties are so incredibly expensive and this was so easy.  I had everything in my cupboard and throwing it all together and on a tray was too simple.  I love that you could go crazy with this and add anything you like.  My youngest daughter loves 'muesli', as we call it, so I thought I'd make this one pretty simple but you can add wheat germ, dates, apple sauce (instead of oil).  Serve with some non fat greek yoghurt and fresh fruit.  Have fun with it!






Makes approx 1 kg, 2 lbs

Ingredients:
4 cups rolled oats (not 1 minute oats)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup dried fruit (cranberries, dates, apricots, raisins whatever you like)
4 tblspn walnut oil or vegetable oil or a combination
1 tspn kosher salt
1 tspn cinnamon
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup unsweetened coconut



Method:

  • Mix all these ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined.  
  • Pre-heat the oven to 325'F
  • Pour out granola onto a large baking tray and bake for approx 40-45 minutes stirring every 10minutes until golden brown.
  • Allow to cool
  • Store in an airtight container.


1 comment: