Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Turkey Burgers

A low calorie, super tasty and completely filling burger pattie for the whole family.  Even my husband rated it which surprised me, he's not usually one for turkey. This is as far as you can get from a greasy beef burger and so full of flavor it was hard not to like it.

I have just started the Jillian Michaels "12 Week Body Revolution" so I hope to be posting some lower calorie meals for the next few weeks.  As much as I love my food and feel I am a pretty healthy cook most days, I haven't counted calories since I was 16 yrs old so this will be enlightening for me as well as for you. I am only on Day 2 and I'm actually starting by doing the seven day detox, metabolic re-balance diet which is pretty lean on anything fun but this burger pretty much fits that bill.  I ate it without the bun and had a side salad instead and it came in at 283 calories. It was a Rachel Ray's recipe I found online and with a few changes, I almost adore it.


Serves 4
283 calories per serve

Ingredients:
525g / 1 1/3 lb ground turkey (or ground chicken)
100g / 1/4 lb feta
1 box of 283 g / 10z frozen chopped spinach
1 tblspn butter
1 tblspn extra virgin olive oil
1/2 red onion, thinly diced
2 cloves of garlic
2 tspn oregano, fresh or dried
1 tblpsn grill seasoning - I used The Spice House: Greek, "Billygoat" seasoning but McCormacks Montreal Steak Seasoning was also recommended

Yoghurt (aioli) dressing:
1 1/2 cups greek natural non fat yoghurt
2 inches of cucumber, diced
1/2 lemon, juice
1 tspn minced garlic
salt

Method:

  • Defrost the spinach either using a microwave or at room temperature. Wring out the excess fluid from the spinach using a paper towel. 
  • Heat a pan and melt the butter and oil. Cook the diced onions and garlic for approx 5min, until cooked.  Remove from heat, set aside in a bowl and allow to cool. 
  • Mix the spinach, ground turkey, feta and cooled onions and garlic together in a large bowl.  Add the seasoning mix, oregano and a little drizzle of olive oil to help mix and bind the patties.
  • Divide the mixture and form into 4 large patties, 1 inch thick.
  • Refridgerate for at least 1 hour before cooking on the grill to avoid the patties falling apart.
  • Make the yoghurt dressing by combining the ingredients in a mini processor and processing until it becomes a smooth sauce.
  • Grill your patties on a hot grill for approx 6 minutes each side
  • Serve on a toasted bun or ciabatta, with yoghurt dressing, sliced cucumbers and mixed lettuce leaves or with a salad.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious - I'll give the chicken version a try, as it makes a change from the usual beef hamburger.

    ReplyDelete