Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Blue Cheese Burger

Mid week burgers don't have to be boring and they honestly don't have to take long to prepare.  I decided, made and was eating this one within 30mins.  I had some fresh ground beef in the fridge  and had been eating a little blue cheese on my salads this week so it didn't take me long to put two and two together.   What a hit!  I had given the girls dinner earlier so they didn't eat this but I would definitely try a version of this for them.  Maybe just use a nice aged cheddar and crumble that.  I wouldn't necessary add the hot sauce to theirs but a little dry mustard is an awesome hit of flavor with the worchestire sauce.  


Serves 4

Ingredients:
1/2 brown onion, finely diced
400g ground beef sirloin
1 tspn dry mustard powder
a splash of worchestire sauce
sea salt and cracked pepper
2 tblspn hot sauce
3-4oz blue cheese or gorgonzola roughly crumbled

nice ciabatta rolls, heated
avocado, sliced
arugula
cucumber, sliced
mayonnaise, blue cheese dressing* or aioli 

Method:
  • Preheat the oven to 350'F
  • Finely dice your onion and cook gently over medium heat until translucent (I hate nothing more than raw onion in my burgers!). Allow to cool
  • In a large bowl mix together the raw ground beef and all the other ingredients.  I added the onion while they were still a little warm but I was cooking the burgers straight away.  If you are planning on doing these ahead of time and refridgerating them, then please let the onion cool right down before mixing with your raw meat. 
  • Divide your meat into 4 equal portions and roll into a ball
  • Roll or rub a little oil over your patties and then place on a hot grill or grill plate on the stove. 
  • I have the oven on, for the buns but I also use it cook the patties all the way through.  I like the outside charred and full of flavor but then I like them to give them some time and retaining their moisture by finishing them in the oven.  Get the grill hot, cook for approx 3-4 mins each side and then place them in the oven to continue to cook for another 5-8mins.  It also allows me to prep the other items.  
  • Heat your buns in the oven for the last 4 mins to warm through and to get a little crunch on the outside.
  • Build your burger however you like, but I kept this simple with some arugula, avocado and cucumber.  I could have probably done with some slightly carmelized red onion but it could have made it to sweet.  
  • A little dollop of blue cheese dressing and it was divine!

*A nice low(er) fat Blue Cheese Dressing
50g / about 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup non fat greek yoghurt (or sour cream)
2 tblpsn white wine vinegar
3 tblspn pure orange juice
1 tblspn walnut oil
sea salt and cracked pepper
generous pinch of sugar

mix together in a bowl and refrigerate for up to 7 days


No comments:

Post a Comment