Thursday, December 13, 2012

Simple Pancakes

My eldest daughter Lucy loves pancakes.  I always pretend they take too long to cook and so it's usually something she orders if we ever go out for Breakfast.  Kind of my way of encouraging her to be satisfied with porridge 7 days a week!  Well, I saw this cute little pan in Costco the other week and thought, this is it, this just makes it too easy.  The perfect circular pancake, my OCD about uniformity has been mitigated, no excuses left.

This morning Lucy woke at 4:58am and was up, bed made and dressed by 5:12 ready for school. We had a long morning ahead so I pulled out my new fancy nancy pan and tried this recipe from Food Network. It worked like a charm, I was impressed.  They were light and fluffy and so simple. We started with the simple pancake  I didn't add vanilla but I'm sure as the weeks pass she'll get a little more adventurous and we'll start making them with mashed banana or blueberries or something.  On weekends only... this is not becoming a new habit!



Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose (plain) flour
1 tblspn baking powder
1/2 tspn salt
1 tblspn sugar
1 egg
2 tblspn vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk
1 tspn vanilla essence (optional)

Method:

  • In a bowl sift together the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.  
  • Make a well and crack the egg.  Whisk it well with a fork
  • Add the oil and milk and gradually combine until smooth
  • Heat a griddle pan and brush a little oil or butter over the surface
  • If using a molded griddle like mine, pour out approx 2 tblspn of batter into each mold and cook until it bubbles.
  • Turn and cook on the other side
  • Serve immediately with your choice of toppings, maple syrup, butter, fruit or lemon and sugar




2 comments:

  1. This is such a cute story. Especially the bit about the 5am start

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds easy and wonderful! I will try them over break - maybe. I like the pan idea too. Don't own one, but might soon!

    ReplyDelete