Thursday, December 20, 2012

Chocolate rolo cookies

My girls' had their School Holiday Sing Concert this week and their 'after party' called for cookies.  In a cookie mad country I had to find something good. I have to admit as a general rule, I don't like cookies. And I totally suck at cooking them. So from my perspective I have perpetuated the belief that they are completely overrated and generally dry and boring. I needed to change my attitude if I was going to fit in at school though so after much searching, I saw this  recipe on pinterest (my new late night hobby) via a website called liluna.com and immediately thought, these have potential. You've probably all seen this recipe a thousand times before but for me, cooking cookies are along the road less travelled. It is a cake mix, so it has body and above all - it has a rolo shoved in the middle.  You can't go wrong with a rolo shoved in anything so I gave it a go. At this time of the year I was also keen not to make it all totally from scratch.  It was more like a brownie than a cookie but with a little surprise.  I liked it.  The girls cleaned the plate of leftovers the next day so I was well pleased.  I didn't want them hanging around our house too long over this crazy festive season, I'll put on enough calories with wine and champagne, I don't need any further temptations.  

So if you have the need this holiday to share a plate of 'cookies'...make a batch of these.  


Makes approx 24

Ingredients:
1 packet chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup butter
8oz cream cheese
1 tspn vanilla essence
1 egg
powdered sugar
rolo's

Method:
  • Pre heat the oven to 350'F
  • Beat the butter, egg, vanilla and cream cheese together until fluffy
  • Add the dry cake mix and continue to beat until it begins to form a dough
  • Place the mixture in the refridgerator for 30mins to chill
  • Roll about a tablespoon of mixture into a rough ball and then press a rolo into the middle, making sure it is covered with dough.  
  • Drop the ball into a bowl of powdered sugar and dust off excess, then place on a greased baking sheet
  • Allow enough space between each cookie for expansion, you might get about 9 or 10 per tray
  • Bake for 10-12 minutes.
  • Dust a little powdered sugar to the top if you like, as they cool.
  • Eat at least one while they're hot!


No comments:

Post a Comment