Monday, December 31, 2012

Turkey Shui Mai (dumplings)

I was in the grocery store staring at a packet of ground turkey but I had no idea what I was going to do with it. I had lost all inspiration.  I didn't want to make meatballs or another burger, but I knew I had to incorporate this healthy, light choice of meat into our diet this week or all my hard work in front of Jillian (US Biggest Loser Trainer) and running on that damn treadmill would be for naught.  I came home, read The Age newspaper online and went straight to the Good Food section.  They had a little special on some New Years Eve party ideas and were making chicken dumplings using wonton wrappers. I knew I had some of those in my fridge, as I had bought them ages ago thinking I might not ever find them again.  I got started and combined a few ideas to make this delicious meal.  I actually ate a few as a starter as soon as I steamed them but actually ended up eating them in a miso soup as a full meal.  Despite these being totally uncomplicated and pretty neutral in flavour the girls tried them but didn't really eat them. I'll give them another go as they normally eat dim sims or dumplings without much hassle and they love noodles and Chinese food usually.  

These were so easy to make, the pre-made wonton wrappers cut out most of the prep work and the chestnuts gave it such a delicious crunch, it made them interesting while still maintaining the mild and subtle flavors.  I really enjoyed these.  


Makes approx 30 dumplings

Ingredients:
250g (1/2 lb) ground turkey
1/4 cup tinned water chestnuts, finely diced
2 spring onion
1 tspn ginger, minced
1 tspn garlic, crushed
egg white (I used about half)
1 tspn salt
pinch of white pepper
30 wonton wrappers

Asian Dressing:
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup peanut or grapeseed oil
1/3 soy sauce
2 tblpsn ginger
4 spring onions
1/2 lime, juiced
2 tblspn fish sauce
pinch of salt
1/2 tspn sugar
1 tblspn freshly chopped mint or cilantro

Method:
  • Mix all the ingredients for the dumplings together in a bowl using your hand to combine well.
  • Holding a wonton wrapper in your palm, drop a spoonful of mixture into the centre.  Run a little water around the edges of the wrapper before folding it into a triangle and pressing the sides firmly.  I then bring the two corners together at the bottom and pinch the edges together to make it look like a chinese fortune cookie.  (Instructions for this are usually on the back of the wonton wrapper packet).
  • Place the sealed wontons in an oiled bamboo steamer, cover and cook for 5-7mins
  • Serve with the Asian Dressing as an appetizer or in an Asian soup, like miso for a complete meal


No comments:

Post a Comment