Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Bacon, Mushroom and Spinach Frittata

A great light meal for the entire family.  I was a little optimistic about how many vegetables I could squeeze in this one, thinking that my girls had got SO much better they wouldn't mind.... well, they did. The combination of spinach AND mushrooms was just a little too much for them last night so it wasn't as big a success as it should have been.  If I had left out the spinach on their half they would have really enjoyed this.  Always a next time. 


As for Mark and I, we thoroughly enjoyed this frittata and I loved how easy it was. I didn't want to fuss with a pastry crust so the use of so many eggs meant it held together perfectly and was a breeze to dish up.  You could keep this as simple and egg and bacon if you want, or absolutely go to town and add kalamata olives, red peppers, potatoes or chili.  I actually made this latter combination for myself as an omelet while I was putting this together yesterday, and used up some pre-cooked cauliflower and sauté those with the bacon.  Delish.

Today I had last night's leftover slice with a small salad and I quickly made some olive tapenade to dollop on top.  I think I hit the jackpot.  It was divine, I might make a pie every monday and eat it all week.  



Family pie, 10" pie dish

Frittata:
5 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup milk
sea salt and cracked pepper
3-4 medium portabella mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic
1/2 red onion, diced
knob of butter
2 cups baby spinach leaves, wilted (and processed if preferred)
175g bacon, roughly chopped
1 tblpsn each of freshly chopped parsley, thyme and oregano
1/4 cup (or less) of shaved parmesan cheese
A handful of grated cheddar cheese

Method:
  • Prepare a deep pie dish by spraying with olive oil.
  • In a non stick pan, heat a little olive oil and add onion.  Fry off until soft and then add crushed garlic.  Toss until fragrant.  
  • Now add a small knob of butter and drop in the mushrooms.  Stir until cooked and the moisture has cooked out of them. Remove onion and mushroom mixture and place in the bottom of the pie dish
  • Add the bacon to the pan and cook until crispy. 
  • When cooked, drain on paper towel before adding to the pie dish
  • Finally add your spinach leaves and cook until wilted.  Add to your pie.
  • Chop your fresh herbs and sprinkle over the filling mixture
  • In a bowl, beat the eggs with cream, milk, salt and pepper.  
  • Pour the eggs over the pie filling and then top with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and a little grated cheddar cheese.
  • Cook in a preheat oven at 350'F for approx 30mins, or until the egg is set and the top is golden brown


I actually cooked this during the day and then warmed it gently under foil for 10mins when we arrived home late after our evening activities.  My favorite super quick side salad of fresh spring leaves, shaved parmesan, toasted pine nuts and a few ripped olives with my own olive oil/balsamic dressing (see dressings) makes a delicious meal, for lunch or dinner.

NB.  I added this to my Vegetarian dishes as this could easily be made without bacon.  Although I am presuming you are the vegetarian types who eat eggs and cheese :)



No comments:

Post a Comment