Sunday, January 20, 2013

"Momofuku"...caramelized pork butt

It seems I am having a slow start this year with my blog and perhaps I've given up. Ten days between posts is not ideal and given my last one was such a deviation from my philosophy and values I really need to make it up to you! I promise you, I have been busy... cooking but I am also working through a new business idea.  I will keep you in the dark until I work through whether or not it's actually going to be feasible, but I vow to keep posting my best recipes in the interim.  Here comes the latest discovery.... you're going to love me for this one. 

A long time lover of all Asian food, but a relatively new-comer to cooking this cut of pork... this dish made me sit up and take notice.  Our good friend Jojo served this as a light finish to Christmas Day after we had all had various versions of a traditional lunch earlier in the day.  It was absolutely mouthwatering and delicious and I was anxious to try it at home.

This recipe was posted in the NY Times in Jan 2012 but was adapted from "Momofuku" by David Change and Peter Meehan. As it was cooking I couldn't imagine the flavor would be enough from the simple salt and sugar rub I left it with overnight but the caramelization of the pork as it roasted was just perfect. I couldn't believe it was this easy.  You could eat this in a wrap, in lettuce shells as an appetizer or main, over rice or with noodles if you like.  Kids would definitely eat the shredded pork, the sauces are where the complex flavors and heat comes in.  I'm sure they would enjoy it with just a simple BBQ sauce in a bun or wrap. 

I went a little heavier on the chili in the ssam sauce and also added some fish sauce, lime and a dash of sugar to the scallion sauce but I will write this up as it was provided, that's just my personal taste.  Mark and I both thought this was a knock-out meal, definitely on our rotation for impressive meals as it was so light and fresh - it was killer. 




Ingredients:

Pork Butt
1 whole bone-in pork butt (8 to 10 pounds)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup plus 1 tblspn kosher salt
7 tblspn brown sugar

Ginger-Scallion Sauce:
2 1/2 cups thinly sliced spring onions, both green and white parts
1/2 cup peeled, minced fresh ginger
1/4 cup neutral oil like grapeseed.  
1 1/2 tspn light soy sauce
1 tspn sherry vinegar
1/2 tspn kosher salt, or to taste

* my adaption to this was I used part peanut oil in place of all grapeseed oil for extra flavor.  I added fish sauce, a squeeze of lime, a pinch of sugar and about 1/4 tspn of minced garlic and a little more soy to taste.  

Ssam Sauce:
2 tblspn fermented bean and chili paste (ssamjang or a black bean and chili paste)
1 tblpsn chili paste (or more to taste)
2 tblspn sherry vinegar (original recipe calls for 1/2 cup but it is WAY too sour for me)
1/2 cup grapeseed oil
1 fresh red chili, sliced (optional)

To serve:
White rice, cooked
3 heads of bibb lettuce, leaves separated, washed and dried
Kimchi, spicy (available in many Asian markets) 


Method:
  • To marinate the pork, combine the white sugar and salt in a bowl.  Rub this mixture all over the pork and place it in a shallow bowl, covering with cling wrap and into the refridgerator for at least 6hrs or overnight if possible.
  • Once ready to cook, preheat the oven to 300'F.
  • Take the pork from the fridge and drain any juices from the bowl.  
  • Place the pork in a deep roasting pan and into the oven for 5-6hrs, uncovered.
  • After the first hour, baste the pork in the pan juices and continue to do that every hour until fully cooked and almost falling away from the bone.
  • When cooked, remove from the oven and allow to rest if necessary.  
  • Prepare the sauces and your accompaniments
  • When almost ready to serve, turn the oven to 500'F and combine the brown sugar and remaining tablespoon of salt and rub all over the top of the cooked pork
  • Replace in the oven and allow to caramelize and turn a toasty golden brown, approximately 12-15mins
  • Remove from the oven and shred roughly using two forks.
  • Serve over rice as I have done here or within lettuce shells, smother in the various sauces and kimchi and rip up some fresh cilantro leaves... enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment