Thursday, January 10, 2013

Southern Cornbread Pudding

I'm about to do something I swore to myself I would never do on this blog and that is to promote the use of a packet mix, but this small mysterious little box of 'jiffy cornbread mix' has just lured me in.  I vow to explore this new delight further when I have some more time on my hands and work out how to make this dish from scratch but for now, this version of throwing together a few tins and a packet works for me. It's cheap, takes all of three and half minutes to combine and will absolutely win over your toddlers and children.  I have to admit my husband and I couldn't get enough of it tonight!  Totally hit the spot.

I used non fat yoghurt instead of the suggested sour cream in an attempt to contain the calories but I don't think you'd be eating this if you were trying to do your body any favors.  Makes for a perfect supplement to your every day meal. We had it alongside a beautiful rack of lamb and steamed vegetables but down south you would  often find this under a bowl of chili or alongside Pork ribs.  This recipe came from allrecipes.com but as I said, I substituted yoghurt instead of cream and it was delicious.



Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 stick butter (112g) melted
1 tin corn kernels
1 tin of sweetened creamed corn
1 packet of "jiffy: America's favorite cornbread mix"
8oz non-fat greek yoghurt (approx 3/4 cup)

Method:
  • Preheat the oven to 350'F
  • Whisk the eggs in a large bowl
  • Add the melted butter, corn kernels and creamed corn and continue to whisk
  • Mix in the yoghurt and the add the packet of jiffy
  • Pour into a greased baking/brownie tray and bake for approx 1hr or until the top is golden brown
  • Serve with your choice of meal.... the list is endless.  

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good to me - I have made cornbread with polenta - would that be similar? I'll look out for a packet too - you never know, we are getting more cosmopolitan down under!

    ReplyDelete